Followers

The Young Victoria: A movie rich in costume ideas for dolls







Of all the movies about the Queens of England, this is perhaps my favorite. Lacking in tragedy but more on triumph -- not of political or monarchy-ial standards but more, of romance (yes, I'm a sucker for it -- albeit not the cheesy type). The story of Albert and Victoria is given life by actors Emily Blunt (Devil Wears Prada) and Rupert Friend. While many have criticized the film, I personally feel otherwise. Emily Blunt is one gifted actress of her generation, having some theater background (the best for an actor), she brings to the screen a certain freshness. Queen Victoria and Prince Albert's romance is somehow of classic proportions. After his death, it is said that she would have his clothes laid out every morning, reluctant in assuming her duties as Queen. True love? More than a romantic lover, she was able to find a partner in her reign.

If the acting is enchanting, so are the costumes. I don't have much pictures here. They are all from Emilyblunt.com. Sandy Powell designs the costumes which are patterned after the real costumes that the Queen wore. Briefly on the film is the wedding scene which captures the beautiful gown worn by Victoria. I think this was also the period in which Scarlett O' Hara lived -- having named her daughter after 2 queens, Victoria being one.

Check out emilyblunt.com or the movie site of "The Young Victoria. I also got the soundtrack off Amazon. The score composed by Ilan Eshkeri is my perfect background when practicing repainting. One day, when I earn a little more, I'll probably get myself a Melanie doll and repaint her as Victoria, have Alana Bennett do a Victorian gown after the film. = )

0 comments:

Post a Comment